Friday, May 3, 2013

Feather Angle

I have a track record of being something of a maverick in my views. I am very much a "who says ...?" kind of person. I have long advocated that beginner paddlers should start paddling with unfeathered paddles. My view has been pooh-pooh'ed by many of the local mouths including those in the canoeing industry - with only one exception who was prepared to listen to the logic - kudos Stan.

I started paddling when paddles were feathered at 90 degrees. That was it. I felt that feather angles required too much 'wrist language' to consistently get the proper blade angle in the water, especially in rough water paddling. In those days many of us made our own paddles. So I started experimenting with feather angles, starting with my wild water racing paddle. I ended up with using around a 45 degree feather angle. Really radical for those days but I wasn't ready to challenge the root orthodoxy of feathered paddles.

Life happened and I hardly paddled for years. I came back to paddling considerably older with older joints and a mind more willing challenge orthodoxy. I bought a new paddle with the then accepted feather of around 70 degrees. I chafed at the need to make the big feather flick turn and I started experimenting with feather angles again. This time I was prepared to push the experimentation further and I had become a keen observer of paddling technique. And so I started paddling with no feather. Around ten years later and I am still paddling with unfeathered paddles. And the mouths have a lot to say. Only none of them have been able to give a persuasive reason for forcing beginners to paddle with feathered paddles.

So why do they persist and why do emotions rise when the orthodoxy is questioned or challenged?

Read this article for some thoughts on why people persist with often patently dumb things.

So today, with some slack time on my hands at work, I was trolling the web, idly following a paddling train of thought and looking at the track records of paddlers when I branched into wing paddles and came upon this article by Greg Barton. For those of you don't know Greg Barton is a multiple Olympic and world championship kayak sprint gold medalist and owner of Epic Kayaks one of the world's major paddle manufacturers.

Here is a direct quote from Greg's article:

To feather or not to feather? There are many people with strong feelings on both sides of this subject. The following are reasons why you may want to consider using an unfeathered paddle.
   For beginners, it is easier to learn with an unfeathered paddle.
   Unfeathered paddles do not require wrist rotation and put less strain on the wrist.
   Unfeathered paddles do not "dive" or "fly up" in the wind.
   While an unfeathered paddle is initially easier to use, most people can quickly adapt to a feathered paddle.
He must be a pretty smart guy as he is saying exactly what I have been saying for years.

So, if you're using feathered paddles, especially if you're a recreational, novice or intermediate paddler, it's probably a good idea to get an adjuster for your paddle shaft and start playing with your feather angle. And for anyone introducing a newcomer to paddling please make sure they start with an unfeathered paddle.

No comments: